Welcome to The Bridge

Back to Article
Back to Article

Welcome to The Bridge

Mr. McDermott

Welcome to The Bridge, the new online newspaper by, for, and about students at RVHS. The goal of this newspaper is to use the contemporary tools at our disposal to feature student writing, photography, and videography to tell your stories. Student voices are critical to the success of The Bridge. To this end, The Bridge has joined forces with the Hawk Talk, our new printed newspaper, to bring written content to a broader audience. Students at River Valley High School are the primary audience for The Bridge. Being a web-based newspaper also makes it possible for the greater River Valley community to get a peek into the life of our school. (The Bridge, by the way, has been a name used for student newspapers in the past. A bridge is also an apt metaphor representing this time of life, moving from young adults into adulthood.)

What you see on this site today is the beginning, the skeleton, of what we hope the site will be in the weeks ahead. We felt it was necessary to give the student body a preview of what The Bridge could be. Content will be added on a regular basis, as it is created by students. You will also see the opportunity to add comments at the end of stories. This feature provides a platform for students to participate in a positive way. Comments are screened and approved before they are posted to the site, and students wishing to comment need to include their name and email address.

We have posted the first video in an ongoing series of staff interviews conducted by Lauren Bettinger. This series provides a unique platform for Lauren to exercise her very special voice. While we haven’t publicized The Bridge in a broad sense yet, this first video interview with Kasey Maxwell has already gotten nearly 500 views on YouTube. You will see the “Catching Up With Lauren” video on the right-hand side of the home page.

If you are a writer and would like to publish your work, this may be a good fit for you. We also need audio, video, and photo contributors to round out the multi-media platform we have set up for The Bridge. If you are interested in participating, please get in touch with Mr. McDermott at [email protected] Finally, if you have ideas for stories you think would work well on this site, please don’t hesitate to toss out a suggestion. We are looking forward to seeing many great stories highlighting all aspects of life as a student at RVHS, and we hope you will all add your voice in some way.